Inside the Coop
National Co+op Grocers, or as we call them, NCG.
National Co+op Grocers (NCG) is a business services cooperative for retail food co-ops located throughout the United States, of which the Co-op Natural Foods recently became a member. The NCG represents 143 food co-ops operating over 195 stores in 38 states with combined annual sales of over $1.7 billion and over 1.3 million consumer-owners. NCG helps unify natural food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and ultimately offer more value to natural food co-op owners and shoppers everywhere. View their brochure.
The Co-op Natural Foods is proud to be a member of NCG and believes in the Mission and Ends established by the NCG.
Mission & Ends Statements
Mission: NCG will provide the vision, leadership and systems to catapult a virtual chain of food co-ops to a position of prominence in the natural foods industry.
Ends (Global): NCG embodies the aspirations of its members through integration and programs that provide the capacity of a chain while supporting the autonomy of a local business. The benefits of NCG membership warrant the resources and participation required of its members.
Further, on behalf of NCG members, the cooperative accepts responsibility for these outcomes:
- A dynamic and transparent organization with clear and meaningful ways for members to participate.
- Members are successful in a competitive market and have access to:
- competitive pricing
- professional development and training
- product selection & sourcing tailored to common needs
- operational and merchandising best practices
- A powerful advocacy voice for food co-op issues.
- A development mechanism for new and expanding co-ops.
- Members adhere to agreed upon co-op operating standards